How to Observe National Self-Care Month
It’s only the third week of July but we are very much in the middle of the long, hot, days of summer. With temperatures soaring in Florida and across the South, it seems appropriate that July is recognized as National Self-Care Month. During this month of awareness, let’s celebrate the benefits of self-care and explore some ways we can incorporate it into our daily lives.
Self-care allows us to prioritize our mental, emotional, and physical health. It goes beyond mere indulgence; it is a practice of self-preservation. Here are some ways you can practice self-care.
- Set boundaries: Learn to say no when necessary and prioritize your needs without feeling guilty.
- Practice mindfulness: Engage in activities that bring you joy and help you stay present in the moment, such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or immersing yourself in nature.
- Connect with others: Cultivate meaningful relationships and surround yourself with a supportive network of loved ones who lift you up. Social connection cannot be stressed enough!
- Prioritize sleep: Ensure you get enough restful sleep each night to rejuvenate your mind and body.
- Engage in hobbies: Dedicate time to activities that bring you fulfillment and allow you to express your creativity or passions.
- Move your body: Engage in regular physical activity that you enjoy, whether it’s dancing, hiking, yoga, or any other form of exercise that energizes you.
Remember, self-care is not selfish; it is a vital component of maintaining a healthy and balanced life. By taking care of yourself, you become better equipped to care for others. As the renowned writer and civil rights activist Audre Lorde once said, “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence. It is self-preservation…” So, take time to prioritize yourself and embrace self-care as a transformative practice that nurtures our well-being.
If you, or someone close to you, are struggling to achieve effective self-care, our behavioral health professionals can help formulate a plan of action to get back on the right track. Aspire offers affordable options for counseling, even if you do not have insurance. Call us at (407) 875-3700, option “3.”